In response to the high unemployment rates in Tampa Bay, and the belief that our community has the responsibility to address these challenges, in 2010 a grassroots initiative emerged.
As a 501(C)3 non-profit organization since 2011, TampaBay-Job-Links (TBJL) offers job seekers individualized job-search support services and opens doors to networking and employment opportunities. We take a holistic approach to client services and address job search and employment barriers directly and through referral to community resources.
Our services are available to all individuals without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, national origin, or sexual orientation.
We work closely with employers, assisting with their hiring needs and providing them with qualified pre-screened candidates. By preparing job seekers with the skills necessary to conduct an effective job search, by mobilizing the community, and by opening doors to business and community leaders, we help people find jobs.
TBJL has been a member of the International Association of Jewish Vocational Services (IAJVS), a not-for-profit association linking together a network of 30 health and human service agencies in the United States, Canada, and Israel that provides a wide range of vocational and rehabilitation services. IAJVS has provided its member agencies with services that strengthen local capacity, and it has been the clearinghouse for shared information and “best practices.” In January 2017, the Network of Jewish Human Service Agencies united the IAJVS and the Association of Jewish Family and Children’s Agencies (AJFSA). TBJL is a member of the new umbrella Network which focuses on the needs of its 143 organizations, serving as a guiding force for human service agencies and the people they serve.
TBJL is a supportive community where people gain relevant job-search and career transition skills, helping them find employment to sustain themselves and their families.
Many of our values are rooted in the Jewish tradition though their meaning is universal.
- Repair the World – Tikkun Olam: We believe in meeting people where they are and providing the services that are needed to help them achieve self-sufficiency through employment. We are committed to making the world a better place by providing tools, training, and resources for job seekers from all walks of life.
- Respect for the Individual: Our commitment to helping people help themselves is rooted in the Jewish value of tzedakah, meaning justice; we believe that a just society is one in which all people have the opportunity to have meaningful work and be self-sufficient. We believe in treating people with dignity and respect, promoting self-esteem and self-confidence. We are inspired by the Maimonides teaching that the highest level of tzedakah is giving a job.
- Values of Collaboration: We believe in the greater good of the community and the power of collaboration. We bring together the resources of business, philanthropy, and community-based organizations to enable individuals to achieve success. We believe that the most effective way to find jobs for our candidates is through strong community partnerships.
- Standards of Excellence: We believe that our programs and services must uphold the highest professional standards and incorporate ongoing program improvement. We strive to incorporate best practices and to be a model organization in our field.
- Foundation of Human Capital: We believe that the TBJL staff is our greatest asset; we prioritize staff support and development, as a way of exemplifying the type of work environment we hope to find for our job seekers.
How We Are Funded
TampaBay-Job-Links is funded by the generous donations of individuals, foundations, and corporations – enhanced by our community partners and volunteers.